The hospitality industry is a cyclical business characterized by imbalances between supply and demand. Dealing with sudden situations of growth, stagnation and decline present organizational challenges that demand flexible managerial skills and competences. This Advanced Certificate provides participants with the knowledge and skills to successfully manage hotel organizational performance in a dynamic business environment.
|Week 1 to 5||Managing underperforming proprieties
- Introduction to underperformance
- Initial stages of underperformance
- Turnaround fundamentals
- Manage and implement turnarounds
- Leadership challenges in the crisis stage
- The corporate dissolution stage
|Week 6 to 10||Trends, Innovation and New Business Models
- Characteristics of innovations
- Sensing innovation opportunities
- Three archetypes of innovation
- Between open and close innovation
- Novel approaches to innovation
- What is a business model & why do we care?
- Business models in the hospitality industry – evolution over time
- Business model innovation
- Evaluating the strategic potential of a business model
- Am I an entrepreneur?
- Process view of entrepreneurship
- Thinking like an innovator/entrepreneur?
- Cognitive challenges when aiming for innovation
|Week 11 to 15||Hospitality Economics
- Introduction to Micro economics
- Microeconomics and the hospitality industry
- Price discrimination
- Game theory
- Asymmetric information
- Two sided-markets
- Macroeconomics and the hospitality industry
- Good markets and Fiscal Policy
- Financial markets and Monetary Policy
- Empirical analysis
Professor of Strategic Management
Associate Professor of Strategic Management
Strategy & Entrepreneurship
The ability for managers to react to performance shortfalls and crisis situations is critical in the hospitality industry. This program covers theories and practices on turnarounds and change management.
Traditional success formulas have been questioned recently through digitalization and the shared economy model. This program will develop your mind set to innovate and identify new opportunities.
Learn how to use rigorous economic theories and models to analyze the functioning of the hospitality industry and its current trends. The program will focus on micro-foundations and analyzing the impact of the hospitality industry on the aggregate economy.